Ann Rheum Dis. 1992 Mar;51(3):303-6.
Food intolerance in rheumatoid arthritis. II. Clinical and histological aspects.
Department of Rheumatology, Jan van Breemen Instituut and Academisch Medisch Centrum, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Six patients with rheumatoid factor positive rheumatoid arthritis who had shown a marked symptomatic improvement during four weeks of hypoallergic, artificial diet were studied in greater detail. Placebo controlled rechallenges showed intolerance for specific foodstuffs in four patients. In three of these patients biopsies of both the synovial membrane and of the proximal small intestine were carried out before and during allergen free feeding. In two patients, both with raised serum IgE concentrations and specific IgE antibodies to certain foods, a marked reduction of mast cells in the synovial membrane and proximal small intestine was demonstrated. Although the number of food intolerant patients with RA remains limited and markers of allergic activity are scanty, our observations suggest an underlying immunoallergological mechanism.
- Parke AL, Hughes GR. Rheumatoid arthritis and food: a case study. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1981 Jun 20;282(6281):2027–2029. [PubMed]
- Williams R. Rheumatoid arthritis and food: a case study. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1981 Aug 22;283(6290):563. [PubMed]
- Panush RS, Stroud RM, Webster EM. Food-induced (allergic) arthritis. Inflammatory arthritis exacerbated by milk. Arthritis Rheum. 1986 Feb;29(2):220–226. [PubMed]
- Lunardi C, Bambara LM, Biasi D, Venturini G, Nicolis F, Pachor ML, De Sandre G. Food allergy and rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 1988 Oct–Dec;6(4):423–424. [PubMed]
- Panush RS, Carter RL, Katz P, Kowsari B, Longley S, Finnie S. Diet therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1983 Apr;26(4):462–471. [PubMed]
- Darlington LG, Ramsey NW, Mansfield JR. Placebo-controlled, blind study of dietary manipulation therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. Lancet. 1986 Feb 1;1(8475):236–238. [PubMed]
- Beri D, Malaviya AN, Shandilya R, Singh RR. Effect of dietary restrictions on disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1988 Jan;47(1):69–72. [PubMed]
- van de Laar MA, van der Korst JK. Food intolerance in rheumatoid arthritis. I. A double blind, controlled trial of the clinical effects of elimination of milk allergens and azo dyes. Ann Rheum Dis. 1992 Mar;51(3):298–302. [PubMed]
- Sampson HA, Buckley RH, Metcalfe DD. Food allergy. JAMA. 1987 Nov 27;258(20):2886–2890. [PubMed]
- Carter CM, Egger J, Soothill JF. A dietary management of severe childhood migraine. Hum Nutr Appl Nutr. 1985 Aug;39(4):294–303. [PubMed]
- Dawes PT, Smith DH, Scott DL. Massive eosinophilia in rheumatoid arthritis: report of four cases. Clin Rheumatol. 1986 Jan;5(1):62–65. [PubMed]
- Panush RS, Franco AE, Schur PH. Rheumatoid arthritis associated with eosinophilia. Ann Intern Med. 1971 Aug;75(2):199–205. [PubMed]
- Schumacher HR., Jr Ultrastructure of the synovial membrane. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 1975 Nov–Dec;5(6):489–498. [PubMed]
- Helder AE, Feltkamp-Vroom TM, Nienhuis RL. Electron and light microscopical observations and serological findings in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1973 Nov;32(6):515–523. [PubMed]
- Crisp AJ, Chapman CM, Kirkham SE, Schiller AL, Krane SM. Articular mastocytosis in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1984 Aug;27(8):845–851. [PubMed]
- Malone DG, Wilder RL, Saavedra-Delgado AM, Metcalfe DD. Mast cell numbers in rheumatoid synovial tissues. Correlations with quantitative measures of lymphocytic infiltration and modulation by antiinflammatory therapy. Arthritis Rheum. 1987 Feb;30(2):130–137. [PubMed]
- Godfrey HP, Ilardi C, Engber W, Graziano FM. Quantitation of human synovial mast cells in rheumatoid arthritis and other rheumatic diseases. Arthritis Rheum. 1984 Aug;27(8):852–856. [PubMed]
- van den Broek MF, van den Berg WB, van de Putte LB. The role of mast cells in antigen induced arthritis in mice. J Rheumatol. 1988 Apr;15(4):544–551. [PubMed]
- Rosekrans PC, Meijer CJ, Cornelisse CJ, van der Wal AM, Lindeman J. Use of morphometry and immunohistochemistry of small intestinal biopsy specimens in the diagnosis of food allergy. J Clin Pathol. 1980 Feb;33(2):125–130. [PubMed]
children’s ALLERGY CENTER online
JL TAMAN BENDUNGAN ASAHAN 5 JAKARTA PUSAT, JAKARTA INDONESIA 10210
PHONE : (021) 70081995 – 5703646
email : email@example.com\
Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. You should carefully read all product packaging. If you have or suspect you have a medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.
Copyright © 2010, Children Allergy Center Information Education Network. All rights reserved