1. Kurinczuk J J, Parsons D E, Dawes V. et al The relationship between asthma and smoking during pregnancy. Women Health 1999. 2931–47. [PubMed]
2. Murphy V E, Gibson P G, Smith R. et al Asthma during pregnancy: mechanisms and treatment implications. Eur Respir J 2005. 25731–750. [PubMed]
3. Williams D A. Asthma and pregnancy. Acta Allergol 1967. 22311–323.
4. Gluck J C, Gluck P A. The effects of pregnancy on asthma: a prospective study. Ann Allergy 1976. 37164–168. [PubMed]
5. Melville G N, Kumar M, Wray S R. et al Maternal respiratory function during pregnancy. West Indian Med J 1981. 30207–210. [PubMed]
6. Stenius‐Aarniala B, Piirila P, Teramo K. Asthma and pregnancy: a prospective study of 198 pregnancies. Thorax 1988. 4312–18. [PubMed]
7. Schatz M, Harden K, Forsythe A. et al The course of asthma during pregnancy, post partum, and with successive pregnancies: a prospective analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1988. 81509–517. [PubMed]
8. Apter A J, Greenberger P A, Patterson R. Outcomes of pregnancy in adolescents with severe asthma. Arch Intern Med 1989. 1492571–2575. [PubMed]
9. Mabie W C, Barton J R, Wasserstrum N. et al Clinical observations on asthma and pregnancy. J Matern Fetal Med 1992. 145–50.
10. Perlow J H, Montgomery D, Morgan M A. et al Severity of asthma and perinatal outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1992. 167963–967. [PubMed]
11. Jana N, Vasishta K, Saha S C. et al Effect of bronchial asthma on the course of pregnancy, labour and perinatal outcome. J Obstet Gynaecol 1995. 21227–232. [PubMed]
12. Schatz M, Zeiger R S, Hoffman C P. et al Perinatal outcomes in the pregnancies of asthmatic women: a prospective controlled analysis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995. 1511170–1174. [PubMed]
13. Stenius‐Aarniala B S, Hedman J, Teramo K A. Acute asthma during pregnancy. Thorax 1996. 51411–414. [PubMed]
14. Dombrowski M P, Brown C L, Berry S M. Preliminary experience with triamcinolone acetonide during pregnancy. J Matern Fetal Med 1996. 5310–313. [PubMed]
15. Henderson C E, Ownby D R, Trumble A. et al Predicting asthma severity from allergic sensitivity to cockroaches in pregnant inner city women. J Reprod Med 2000. 45341–344. [PubMed]
16. Hartert T V, Neuzil K M, Shintani A K. et al Maternal morbidity and perinatal outcomes among pregnant women with respiratory hospitalizations during influenza season. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003. 1891705–1712. [PubMed]
17. Schatz M, Dombrowski M P, Wise R. et al Asthma morbidity during pregnancy can be predicted by severity classification. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003. 112283–288. [PubMed]
18. Namazy J, Schatz M, Long L. et al Use of inhaled steroids by pregnant asthmatic women does not reduce intrauterine growth. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004. 113427–432. [PubMed]
19. Martel M J, Rey E, Beauchesne M F. et al Use of inhaled corticosteroids during pregnancy and risk of pregnancy induced hypertension: nested case‐control study. BMJ 2005. 330230.
20. Carroll K N, Griffin M R, Gebretsadik T. et al Racial differences in asthma morbidity during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2005. 10666–72. [PubMed]
21. Bakhireva L N, Jones K L, Schatz M. et al Asthma medication use in pregnancy and fetal growth. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005. 116503–509. [PubMed]
22. Otsuka H, Narushima M, Suzuki H. Assessment of inhaled corticosteroid therapy for asthma treatment during pregnancy. Allergol Int 2005. 54381–386.
23. Schatz M, Leibman C. Inhaled corticosteroid use and outcomes in pregnancy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005. 95234–238. [PubMed]
24. Murphy V E, Gibson P, Talbot P I. et al Severe asthma exacerbations during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2005. 1061046–1054. [PubMed]
25. Minerbi‐Codish I, Fraser D, Avnun L. et al Influence of asthma in pregnancy on labor and the newborn. Respiration 1998. 65130–135. [PubMed]
26. Gordon M, Niswander K R, Berendes H. et al Fetal morbidity following potentially anoxigenic obstetric conditions. VII. Bronchial asthma. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1970. 106421–429. [PubMed]
27. Greenberger P A, Patterson R. The outcome of pregnancy complicated by severe asthma. Allergy Proc 1988. 9539–543. [PubMed]
28. Schatz M, Zeiger R S, Hoffman C P. Intrauterine growth is related to gestational pulmonary function in pregnant asthmatic women. Kaiser‐Permanente Asthma and Pregnancy Study Group. Chest 1990. 98389–392. [PubMed]
29. Sobande A A, Archibong E I, Akinola S E. Pregnancy outcome in asthmatic patients from high altitudes. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2002. 77117–121. [PubMed]
30. Bracken M B, Triche E W, Belanger K. et al Asthma symptoms, severity, and drug therapy: a prospective study of effects on 2205 pregnancies. Obstet Gynecol 2003. 102739–752. [PubMed]
31. Schatz M, Dombrowski M P, Wise R. et al The relationship of asthma medication use to perinatal outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004. 1131040–1045. [PubMed]
32. Stroup D F, Berlin J A, Morton S C. et al Meta‐analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta‐analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA 2000. 2832008–2012. [PubMed]
33. Altman D G, Bland J M. Interaction revisited: the difference between two estimates. BMJ 2003. 326219.
34. Duckitt K, Harrington D. Risk factors for pre‐eclampsia at antenatal booking: systematic review of controlled studies. BMJ 2005. 330565.
35. Hammoud A O, Bujold E, Sorokin Y. et al Smoking in pregnancy revisited: findings from a large population‐based study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005. 1921856–1863. [PubMed]
36. Clifton V L, Giles W B, Smith R. et al Alterations of placental vascular function in asthmatic pregnancies. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001. 164546–553. [PubMed]
37. Read M A, Leitch I M, Giles W B. et al U46619‐mediated vasoconstriction of the fetal placental vasculature in vitro in normal and hypertensive pregnancies. J Hypertens 1999. 17389–396. [PubMed]
38. Cydulka R K, Emerman C L, Schreiber D. et al Acute asthma among pregnant women presenting to the emergency department. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999. 160887–892. [PubMed]
39. NAEPP expert panel report. Managing asthma during pregnancy: recommendations for pharmacologic treatment‐2004 update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005. 11534–46. [PubMed]
40. Wendel P J, Ramin S M, Barnett‐Hamm C. et al Asthma treatment in pregnancy: a randomized controlled study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996. 175150–154. [PubMed]
41. Dombrowski M P, Schatz M, Wise R. et al Randomized trial of inhaled beclomethasone dipropionate versus theophylline for moderate asthma during pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004. 190737–744. [PubMed]