1. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, McDowell MA, Tabak CJ, Flegal KM. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. JAMA. 2006;295:1549–55. [PubMed]
2. Arbes SJ, Jr, Gergen PJ, Elliott L, Zeldin DC. Prevalences of positive skin test responses to 10 common allergens in the US population: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005;116:377–83. [PubMed]
3. Law M, Morris JK, Wald N, Luczynska C, Burney P. Changes in atopy over a quarter of a century, based on cross sectional data at three time periods. Br Med J. 2005;330:1187–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
4. Schernhammer ES, Vutuc C, Waldhor T, Haidinger G. Time trends of the prevalence of asthma and allergic disease in Austrian children. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2008;19:125–31. [PubMed]
5. von Mutius E. The rising trends in asthma and allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy. 1998;28(Suppl 5):45–9. discussion 50–1. [PubMed]
6. Huang SL, Shiao G, Chou P. Association between body mass index and allergy in teenage girls in Taiwan. Clin Exp Allergy. 1999;29:323–9. [PubMed]
7. Schachter LM, Peat JK, Salome CM. Asthma and atopy in overweight children. Thorax. 2003;58:1031–5. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
8. Xu B, Jarvelin MR, Pekkanen J. Body build and atopy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000;105:393–4. [PubMed]
9. Jarvis D, Chinn S, Potts J, Burney P. Association of body mass index with respiratory symptoms and atopy: results from the European Community Respiratory Health Survey. Clin Exp Allergy. 2002;32:831–7. [PubMed]
10. Tantisira KG, Litonjua AA, Weiss ST, Fuhlbrigge AL. Association of body mass with pulmonary function in the Childhood Asthma Management Program (CAMP). Thorax. 2003;58:1036–41. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
11. Chen Y, Dales R, Jiang Y. The association between obesity and asthma is stronger in nonallergic than allergic adults. Chest. 2006;130:890–5. [PubMed]
12. von Mutius E, Schwartz J, Neas LM, Dockery D, Weiss ST. Relation of body mass index to asthma and atopy in children: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Study III. Thorax. 2001;56:835–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
13. Butland BK, Strachan DP, Rudnicka AR. C-reactive protein, obesity, atopy and asthma symptoms in middle-aged British adults. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:77–84. [PubMed]
14. National Center for Health Statistics. Let’s Improve Our Health: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007–2008, Overview. Hyattsville, MD: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2007.
15. Centers for Disease Control. Clinical Growth Charts. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2007.
16. Krebs NF, Himes JH, Jacobson D, Nicklas TA, Guilday P, Styne D. Assessment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity. Pediatrics. 2007;120 (Suppl 4):S193–228. [PubMed]
17. U.S. Census Bureau. How the Census Bureau Measures Poverty. 2007
18. Braback L, Hjern A, Rasmussen F. Body mass index, asthma and allergic rhinoconjunctivitis in Swedish conscripts-a national cohort study over three decades. Respir Med. 2005;99:1010–4. [PubMed]
19. R Development Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2008.
20. Burkhauser RV, Cawley J. Beyond BMI: The value of more accurate measures of fatness and obesity in social science research. J Health Econ. 2007
21. Mei Z, Grummer-Strawn LM, Pietrobelli A, Goulding A, Goran MI, Dietz WH. Validity of body mass index compared with other body-composition screening indexes for the assessment of body fatness in children and adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002;75:978–85. [PubMed]
22. Rothman KJ, Greenland S. Modern Epidemiology. 2. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 1998.
23. Kalliomaki M, Collado MC, Salminen S, Isolauri E. Early differences in fecal microbiota composition in children may predict overweight. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87:534–8. [PubMed]
24. Ludwig DS, Peterson KE, Gortmaker SL. Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis. Lancet. 2001;357:505–8. [PubMed]
25. Welsh JA, Cogswell ME, Rogers S, Rockett H, Mei Z, Grummer-Strawn LM. Overweight among low-income preschool children associated with the consumption of sweet drinks: Missouri, 1999–2002. Pediatrics. 2005;115:e223–9. [PubMed]