1. Kay EJ. How often should we go to the dentist? Brit Med J. 1999;319:204–205. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
2. Manski RJ, Moeller JF, Maas WR. Dental services. An analysis of utilization over 20 years. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2001;132:655–664. [PubMed]
3. Green BL, Person S, Crowther M, Frison S, Shipp M, Lee P, Martin M. Demographic and geographic variations of oral health among African Americans based on NHANES III. Community Dent Health. 2003;20:117–122. [PubMed]
4. Riley JR, III, Gilbert GH, Heft MW. Socioeconomic and demographic disparities in symptoms of orofacial pain. J Public Health Dent. 2003;63:166–173. [PubMed]
5. Cohen LA, Manski RJ. Visits to non-dentist health care providers for dental problems. Fam Med. 2006;38:556–564. [PubMed]
6. Lutfiyya MN, Nika B, Ng L, Tragos C, Won R, Lipsky MS. Primary prevention of overweight and obesity: an analysis of national survey data. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:821–823. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
7. American Medical Association. Medical evaluation of healthy persons. Council on Scientific Affairs. J Amer Med Assoc. 1983;249:1626–1633.
8. World Health Organization. The world oral health report 2003. 2003. p. 38.
9. Holm-Pedersen P, Avlund K, Morse DE, Stolze K, Katz RV, Viitanen M, Winblad B. Dental caries, periodontal disease, and cardiac arrhythmias in community-dwelling older persons aged 80 and older: is there a link? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53:430–437. [PubMed]
10. Dye BA, Wang R, Lashley R, Wei R, Abnet CC, Wang G, Dawsey SM, Cong W, Roth MJ, Li X, Qiao Y. Using NHANES oral health examination protocols as part of an esophageal cancer screening study conducted in a high-risk region of China. BMC Oral Health. 2007;17:10. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
11. Stensson M, Wendt LK, Koch G, Oldaeus G, Birkhed D. Oral health in preschool children with asthma. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2008;18:243–250. [PubMed]
12. PA Department of Health. Status of oral health in Pennsylvania. 2002. p. 51.
13. Mannino DM, Homa DM, Pertowski CA, Ashizawa A, Nixon LL, Johnson CA, Ball LB, Jack E, Kang DS. Surveillance for asthma – United States, 1960–95. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ. 1998;47:1–27. [PubMed]
14. Steinbacher DM, Glick M. The dental patient with asthma. An update and oral health considerations. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2001;132:1229–1239. [PubMed]
15. Ryberg M, Moller C, Ericson T. Effect of beta 2-adrenoceptor agonists on saliva proteins and dental caries in asthmatic children. J Dent Res. 1987;66:1404–1406. [PubMed]
16. Ryberg M, Moller C, Ericson T. Saliva composition and caries development in asthmatic patients treated with beta 2-adrenoceptor agonists: a 4-year follow-up study. Scand J Dent Res. 1991;99:212–218. [PubMed]
17. Arnrup K, Lundin SA, Dahllöf G. Analysis of paediatric dental services provided at a regional hospital in Sweden. Dental treatment need in medically compromised children referred for consultation. Swed Dental J. 1993;17:255–259.
18. McDerra EJ, Pollard MA, Curzon ME. The dental status of asthmatic British school children. Pediatr Dent. 1998;20:281–287. [PubMed]
19. Milano M. Increased risk for dental caries in asthmatic children. Tex Dent J. 1999;116:35–42. [PubMed]
20. Reddy DK, Hegde AM, Munshi AK. Dental caries status of children with bronchial asthma. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2003;27:293–295. [PubMed]
21. Ersin NK, Gülen F, Eronat N, Cogulu D, Demir E, Tanac¸ R, Aydemir S. Oral and dental manifestations of young asthmatics related to medication, severity and duration of condition. Pediatr Int. 2006;48:549–554. [PubMed]
22. Milano M, Lee JY, Donovan K, Chew JW. A cross-sectional study of medication-related factors and caries experience in asthmatic children. Pediatr Dent. 2006;28:415–419. [PubMed]
23. Ferreira FBA, Botelho MPJ, Fernandes KBP, Dezan CC, Pinto LMCP, Chimentão LK, Cerci Neto A. Levels of cariogenic microorganisms and oral conditions of asthmatic children. Abstracts of the 86th General Session & Exhibition of the International Association for Dental Research. 2008;1:3582.
24. Bjerkeborn K, Dahllöf G, Hedlin G, Lindell M, Modéer T. Effect of disease severity and pharmacotherapy of asthma on oral health in asthmatic children. Scand J Dent Res. 1987;95:159–164. [PubMed]
25. Meldrum AM, Thomson WM, Drummond BK, Sears MR. Is asthma a risk factor for dental caries? Finding from a cohort study. Caries Res. 2001;35:235–239. [PubMed]
26. Shulman JD, Taylor SE, Nunn ME. The association between asthma and dental caries in children and adolescents: a population-based case-control study. Caries Res. 2001;35:240–244. [PubMed]
27. Ellot AK, Vanobbergen JN, De Baets F, Martens LC. Oral health and habits in children with asthma related to severity and duration of condition. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2004;5:210–215. [PubMed]
28. Schmidt-Weber CB. Gene expression profiling in allergy and asthma. Chem Immunol Allergy. 2006;91:188–194. [PubMed]
29. Simpson A, John SL, Jury F, Niven R, Woodcock A, Ollier WE, Custovic A. Endotoxin exposure, CD14, and allergic disease: an interaction between genes and the environment. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:386–392. [PubMed]
30. De Soet JJ, van Gemert-Schriks MC, Laine ML, van Amerongen WE, Morré SA, van Winkelhoff AJ. Host and microbiological factors related to dental caries development. Caries Res. 2008;42:340–347. [PubMed]
31. Borish L, Culp JA. Asthma: a syndrome composed of heterogeneous diseases. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2008;101:1–8. [PubMed]
32. Expert Panel Report 3 (EPR-3). Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma – Summary Report 2007. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;120(5 Suppl):S94–S138. [PubMed]
33. Bell EH. Clinical phenotypes of asthma. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2004;10:44–50. [PubMed]
34. Lukacs JR, Largaespada LL. Explaining sex differences in dental caries prevalence: saliva, hormones, and “life-history” etiologies. Am J Hum Biol. 2006;18:540–555. [PubMed]
35. Deeley K, Letra A, Rose EK, Brandon CA, Resick JM, Marazita ML, Vieira AR. Possible association of amelogenin to high caries experience in a Guatemalan-Mayan population. Caries Res. 2008;42:8–13. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
36. Patir A, Seymen F, Yildirim M, Deeley K, Cooper ME, Marazita ML, Vieira AR. Enamel formation genes are associated with high caries experience in Turkish children. Caries Res. 2008;42:394–400. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
37. Vieira AR, Marazita ML, McHenry TG. Genome-wide scan finds suggestive caries loci. J Dent Res. 2008;87:435–439. [PubMed]
38. Rajavaara P, Vainionpää L, Rättyä J, Knip M, Pakarinen A, Isojärvi J, Larmas M. Tooth by tooth survival analysis of dental health in girls with epilepsy. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2003;4:72–77. [PubMed]
39. Eeg-Olofsson O, Lundström A, Hamp SE. Oral state of children with epilepsy on treatment with sodium valproate. Scand J Dent Res. 1983;91:219–223. [PubMed]
40. Tuominen R, Reunanen A, Paunio M, Paunio I, Aromaa A. Oral health indicators poorly predict coronary heart disease deaths. J Dent Res. 2003;82:713–718. [PubMed]
41. Deshpande AD, Harris-Hayes M, Schootman M. Epidemiology of diabetes and diabetes-related complications. Phys Ther. 2008;88:1254–1264. [PubMed]